• Show
Clear All

• The New Generation of Pacific Island Wrestlers - NUI TOFIGA

Nui Tofiga
    Ethnicity: Samoan
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 374 lbs
    Currently Wrestles: US Independent Circuit

The Samoan word "Afakasi" originates from the word "half-caste". This is a term used by Samoans to classify those who have one Samoan parent, and one Caucasian/European parent. This next wrestler is a self-professed and proud afakasi. Born Art Pittman Jr in Wiesbaden, Germany, Art moved around quite a lot in his childhood with his mother who was working for the Air Force. Art spent his later childhood and teenage years in the United States. Art attended Towson University where he was also part of their NCAA Football Team.

In 2007, Art entered the sport of pro wrestling. Inheriting strong Polynesian genes, Art was built for intense combat and was already a proven and accomplished athlete. Art embraced his Samoan roots becoming “The Samoan Tsunami” Nui Tofiga, a ferocious urban savage. Art would go onto wrestle under a few other aliases, however Nui Tofiga is better known to many throughout the US Indy scene.

In the first two instalments of this series, we looked at Tama Tonga and King Fale, two Polynesian wrestlers with very different builds and styles. Nui Tofiga build and style is similar to many of the American based Samoan super heavyweights. Nui Tofiga takes after the great Rodney “Yokozuna” Anoa’I, Rikishi and Eddie “Umaga” Fatu – blessed with intimidating mass and amazing agility. Nui has an impressive move set of predominantly power moves. Some of Tofiga’s basic wrestling moves such as the leg drop are executed with grace. In my opinion, if Tofiga spent an entire match executing those leg drops, I’d walk away happy.

Nui Tofiga experienced his first major title win in 2011 when he captured the WXW Ultimate Heavyweight Title in a 4 way match. The title holder from that match was the second generation star Afa Jr. Nui’s title win intensified what was already one of the biggest rivalries in WXW – pitting the WXW owned Anoa’i family dynasty (represented by Afa Jr.) against the crazed Tofiga. This could be considered new ground as Samoans would rarely cross paths in the ring. As I listened to the announcing in the match, it was rare yet refreshing to watch a story about cultural differences being told properly. This obviously had a lot to do with the Anoa’i influence saving it from being told through the eyes of a white booker. I personally enjoyed how the story depicted a clear contrast between good Samoans vs. bad Samoans, the morals of hard work and family unity vs. greed and corruption. For Nui to be entrusted in a leading role says a lot about Nui’s talents and his ability to work in a major setting.

Nui Tofiga continues to wrestle throughout the US Independent circuit. Below is a list of Nui’s 2012 schedule taken from this Facebook page.

***********2012 Schedule*************
    Jan 6th Severn MD, MCW FREE TV TAPING 7:30PM- 4 SHOWS
    Jan 7th Allentown, PA WXW C4
    Jan 14th Philly, PA CZW final arena show
    Jan 21st WV, PCW (tentatively)
    Jan 28th Open
    Feb 4th Open
    Feb 11th Philly, PA WXW C4
    Feb 18th Allentown, PA WXW C4
    Feb 25th Dundalk, MD MCW
    Mar 17th WV, WXW C4
    Mar 18th Allentown, PA WXW C4
    April 7 Dundalk, MD MCW
    July 7 Dundalk, MD MCW
    Aug 25 Dundalk, MD MCW
    Oct 27 Dundalk, MD MCW
    Dec 29 Dundalk, MD MCW

Booking: NuiTofiga@gmail.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ziPvOyLI8
    Last edited by Shockage; 03-19-2012, 04:06 AM.
Working...
X