Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me and my uncle always switced back and forth. When WCW made the announcement of Foley winning the WWE title we switched to watch that match. When it was over we watched the rest of WCW Nitro. Of course the "finger poke of doom" was 1) misleading and 2) ended the reign of Goldberg. It turned out to be a waste of a drawn-out broadcast and a waste of talent in Goldberg, whom, instead of being put in position to challenge for the belt again, wound up in feud and Bam Bam Bigelow. No disrespect to the late-Bigelow but it was a lackluster feud. Goldberg should have remained in main event matches as well. That's where WCW and company messed up.

Comment

Surprizingly, I remember actually watching Nitro that night. But at the time I was a kid, just turned 10 a few weeks earlier, and was too hyper and "short-attention" spanned to watch any wrestling regularily lol. The only time I actually watched wrestling on T.V those days (as opposed to on tape which was all the time) was when I was watching T.V coincadentally Monday nights and coincadentally came across it. And believe it or not, I actually remember watching the Finger Poke of Doom on my basement T.V. I turned on after the infamous "Butts in seats" comment, but even if I had heard it, I probably wouldn't have even known what he was talking about and therefore wouldn't have changed channels or anything. So I remember watching the poke of doom incident and then the follow-up Hogan promo explaining everything and since I was so young I remember having no idea what he was talking about lol. But because it was wrestling, I was enthralled and excited anyway.

But now that I'm a lot older and understand the wrestling business a lot better, let me try and explain something. Let me explain why the finger poke of doom incident wasn't neccessarily a bad thing to do.....if it was done right. Their never was a plan for Hogan and Nash to have an actual legitimate wrestling match that night. That was never decided. The plan was to build up the two former friends and now rival faction leaders for a match for the world heavywright championship that was ultimately gunna unfold with the 2 men pulling the blind over everyone's eyes and showing that their actually still the best of friends proving once and for all how smart they, and the NWO, actually are. And when you think about it, that's not so bad.

The problem was they promoted it too much. They put too much promotion behind how Hulk Hogan, NWO classic black and White leader, and Kevin Nash, renegade NWO Wolfpack leader, former best friends, were going at it for all the marbles. They made you wonder what was gunna happen? Where did the 2 NWO factions stand? Was Kevin Nash and his clan still behind Hulk Hogan, the true NWO leader? They put forth great promotion for an actual match, but the problem was, their wasn't a match. After all this build up, there was no payoff. In wrestling, it's always fun to put swerves and stuff in your writing to throw off the fans, but when you put so much promotion behind booking a match, there ultimately needs to actually be a match. That's what the fans are looking forward to. And when you build something like this up so big, and then fail to deliver, it ultimately does more damage to the company than good. You could lose the fans trust, and that's a bad thing to lose.

Something like this can happen in almost any circumstance, however. Even if you actually have a match after a lot of promotion and build up, if that match fails to deliver the great excitement that you promised the fans it would deliver, everybody loses (see Lesnar/Golderg). That's why living up to your expectations, or at least doing your best, is such an important thing. You have to make it so your fans are happy, or at the very least, satisfied.

And so getting back to Nitro. Since the plan all along was for Hogan to take the belt from Nash while the 2 men pulled the blind over everyone's eyes, and therefore ending the show not in a match, like promised, but in a poke to the stomach, the entire angle might not have come off as ill-begotten had WCW just held back a little on all the promotion they delivered. This is where it gets kind of iffy because it's a very fine line; they wanted fans to know their was gunna be a main event match between Hogan and Nash, former best friends (or so we think) and the two NWO faction leaders, but they couldn't promote it too much for fear of letting the fans down when they fail to deliver a match. When you want to push a match but are deciding to actually throw fans off with a storyline swerve come the time, it's very important that the fans don't feel let down. That is why their expectation going into the match can't be too high, but if you're promoting a match between 2 super powers (Hogan and Nash), their obviously has to be some degree of build up. So it is a very fine line when it comes to these sort of things, as you don't want the fans to get pissed off at you, but rather caught up in the storyline and therefore pissed off at it (if it calls for the fans to be pissed off).

So that is where WCW went wrong. They promoted a "match" too much when they knew that in actuality no match was actually gunna take place. And it was such a big match. And, maybe they didn't know it at the time, but that night ended up being a lot more important to history than anybody could have guessed. And if the best thing WCW could deliver was a lot of hype but no paypoff, while the WWF delivered the exact opposite (afterall, they needed Schiovane to help promote their main event for them), it's no surprize that the WWF is still around while WCW isn't. It's good to have promotion, but in the end you have to ultimately deliver. And if what you're delivering isn't neccessarily gunna be a wrestling match, then you may want to monitor how much promotion you're gunna give (or what kind of promotion) because too much could be disastorous. It's a fine line, but ultimately, there is good heat and bad heat. And you don't want people getting mad at the company, just the storylines.
      Last edited by Toron; 07-06-2011, 07:26 PM.

Comment

i was watching raw...i enjoyed the wwf more than wcw back then. i rarely watched wcw, mostly because i was afraid i'd miss taker or kane.

Comment

I knew about Foley's win the week before. hell, I made plans just to tape the match. And I did. YAY! WCW didn't mean squat to me then.
          http://nexusdx.deviantart.com Updated: 11/14/11 www.pw247radio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Toron View Post
            So that is where WCW went wrong. They promoted a "match" too much when they knew that in actuality no match was actually gunna take place.
            where WCW went wrong was letting the talent call the shots. Management promised everything to everyone and when it all came to a head, there was nothing they could do. Nash was promised the win over Goldberg and Hogan was promised the belt. Nash was promised Hogan wouldnt go over him...... what else can you do?

Comment

I didn't really watch WCW hell I didn't even know it existed until it was bought up back in 01 and what I've watched of it was a lot of disorganized crap the main events usually sucked and it felt like a tv show like a raw or Smackdown and not a PPV now when it comes to a PPV everything should be set no extra matches none of this laying down crap and no match should be shorter then 10 minutes.
              Tied for OWW funniest members 2012 looking to be the sole owner of the award for 2013

Comment

I missed out completely on both WCW and the original ECW - the version of ECW that I saw was the watered down WWE version. However, some of the guys caught my attention - RVD was one that I liked straight away and I remember recognising a lot of the names even though I only became a wrestling fan in late '99. I strongly suspect that I would have been watching WWE anyway but we'll never know for sure.

Comment

Simple, I was watching Foley win. Once Hogan signed with WCW, I wanted nothing to do with it anymore. Then the gradual progression of talent that I had watched in the WWF as a kid join WCW, made me even less of a fan. I stuck with WWF through the thin years and wasn't about to change. WWF was pushing new talent and that's what I wanted to see. I didn't want to see Dennis Rodman, Karl Malone, Kevin Green, etc pretending to be wrestlers. After the "FOD", WCW should have just stopped because there was no way they were going to recover.
                  SOMEBODY GET HER SOME CHOCOLATE CAKE - Tazz

Comment

I think people overstate the influence that night had on the Monday Night Wars. I have re-watched RAW and Nitro from that time period and leading into 1999, WWF had a much better product than WCW and I feel it was just a matter of time before the WWF took over in the ratings. WWE did a good job while the WCW had a better product at building new stars to get their product up and running again. They were getting new stars over, while WCW was riding the wave of 1996/97.

Whether it be the suits, or the guaranteed contracts or dumb booking, the WCW failed to get new stars into position to take over from the Hogan's and the Sting's who were largely responsible for WCW being so successful in the first place.

If WCW was run properly, as far as structure goes I think we would have had a nice flow where the WCW would be on top, then the WWF would be on top, then WCW etc etc.

Just a different look at that night I thought I would share.

Comment

i dont remeber much about that night, but im sure i was flipping back and forth, but foleys win was a big deal to me, being a former wcw guy who actually achieved success in wwf, and shcavione announcing it on nitro probably didnt help with the whole finger poke of doom crap that happened, wcw was so mismanaged in some many ways its not even funny, giving alot of there big name stars creative control of there character was not a good thing, it hurt the business in general, i was a fan of hogan, flair, savage etc. but those guys needed to pass the torch. imagine if billy kidman would of had a major victory over a big wcw star what it would of done for his career, but wcw had to many selfish, old men that had alot of pull around there. the whole thing that upset me about wcw during the end was jarrett laying down for hogan at a big wcw ppv and russo coming out and burying hulk hogan like that, im not saying hogans polliticing was right, but you dont air you companys dirty laundry on air at a big ppv like that, and that just gave wwf the ammunition to basically shoot wcw right in the head and destroy a company that was better then wwf for many years.

Comment

Foley winning the title. I didn't watch Nitro from August '96 until some time in 2000 and I'd be surprised if I missed three Raw episodes during that period. I was a WWF guy all the way.
                        The internet killed pro wrestling

Comment

Both. Due to an error in the signal Raw was playing an hour after it was supposed to, so I just waited and got both.
                          It's time for your weekly beating!

Comment

Working...
                          X