Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 most influential songs of all time.

I have been avoiding the top 100 lists recently posted. I just feel that the answers given are, well, terrible. No offense to anyone, but the title of the thread is wrong. It should be called 100 favorites etc etc. Not to pick on anyone specifically, but mattitude has listed Prince so many times it isnt funny anymore. Now, I REALLY like Prince. I have Purple Rain on vinyl, cassette, and CD as well as on my PC. Bt come on, right now he is over 10% of the songs listed. Even the biggest fan would argue that he MAY have one of the top 100 songs of all time, but not 10% of those listed so far!

I am just wondering if anyone can take an objective(to a dregree) stance on any of these lists? Can we seperate what we like, and even love, with what is truely something great? I do not believe most can. I try, but even I know I will be somewhat biased while even trying to the opposite. However, i can honestly say one of my all time top 5 favorite rock/pop/ songs is MMMmmm Bop, by the Hansan brothers. However, I would never argue taht it is one of the top 100 greatest songs ever recorded!

With that in mind, I will list what I honestly feel are the top 10 most infuential songs ever recorded. This does not feature just one style of music either. I will try to cover most all styles. This is also in no order, and I will atleast list the reasons why I felt it is a very infuential song.

1. Hound Dog- Big Mamma Thorton. While many of us know this as an Elvis song, Elvis knew of it through this woman. There is little doubt that this song is one of the songs that gave us rock music. While not the first to make Rock populer per say, Elvis, and his songs hat followed, hold a rightful spot on top as the KING of rock N roll.

2. Rock Around The Clock- Bill Haley and his Comets. This is the rock song that make the genre populer. When this song came out, EVERYONE wanted to hear it, play it, and live it! Bill had few hits, and the RNR torch was carried by Elvis, but this IS the song that gave Rock its popularity.

3. Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana. As much as I dislike Grunge, this song killed basically all that was left of hair music. Ppl were tired of the same old 10 year + formula and songs that did little but offer a beat, words, and some sort of big prduction guitar solo somewhere in the middle of it all. This style of music, while not started directly by Nirvana, gots it legs wet, as well as taking over the whole ocean, when this song it.

4. Paranoid- Black Sabbath. The album was recorded in 2 days, most of the songs written in a few hours or less. Originally called one of the worst albums ever made by critics, this album and its songs have endoured the teast of time. This song proved that simple, fast paced songs with good vocals can work and did work. If you listen to Hard rock to death metel, or anything inbetween, you know, and like this song.

5. Imagine- John Lennon. Stating he felt he would be killed by a crazed fan, John seen the violence of the future and wanted to fix it, knowing he couldnt. This song has touched many ppl of all walks of like. It spoke to a generation of fans, and the number of home artists who have it uploaded on youtube is a testiment to the love ofa 30 year old song. many of those on youtube were not even born when it was written.

6. Blue Moon of Kentucky - Bill Monroe. Perhaps the greatest artist of the 20th century, Bill Monroe is not only the man to invent bluegrass music and to bring the mandolin to the forefront of music(it can be heard in songs from anyone to rascal flatts, bob dylan, and Led Z, to name a few) but he is also the only man to be elected in all 4 major Anerican music HOF's! How influencial is this man and the song? This song is where the name of the music, bluegrass got its name, and a young Elvis Presley, singing this song between takes, was told to pick a more wordly song and sing it in that same style. Thus, his version of Hound Dog was born.

7. Walk the Line- Johnny Cash. The man in black will go down in history as the normal man's hero and star. He WAS you and me. While portraying a man as hard as nails, and as dark as the black he wore, he was still open enough to sing songs of such effection. I would dare say that this is one song, because it is Johnny Cash, that could be traded for several other Cash songs and you could have an equal argument.

8. Rappers Delight- Sugar Hill Gang. If you KNOW rap, you KNOW this song. P Diddy found this song so important to not only rap, but to hip hop, that he thew ppl off his show when they didnt know the words to this song. How much do you need as proof than that?

9. Walk This Way- RUN D.M.C. & Aerosmith. in 1985, if you liked hard rock/classic rock(like I did) you did NOT like rap, and vice versa. However, this version of the song proved that they could both be good, and be good together. Today, you have Kid Rock playing a banjo, sampling Skynard, while rapping and singing hip hop songs together. Em does it also, and it would NOT have been possible without this song.

10. Wildwood Flower- The Carter Family. in 1923, a husband wife duo, along with her sister, recorded a simple song. However, the words were very provacative for the time, as a woman had never sung of a man needing her and especially in the Appalachian Mts of the south. In the 85+ years that followed, this has become the most recorded song in history. You cannot go to a country, bluegrass, or old tyme show without it being played, and many times. Some of those to record this song are Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Emmy Lou harris, Ricky Skaggs, Bob Dylan, The Greatful Dead, and Bare Naked Ladies. A testiment to a song so old, recorded by such a different group of ppl you could find.

There is my list of the top 10 most influential songs of all time.

Please post yours, and give reasons. And I challenge you to cover all types of music and see past what you like and more importantly, what you hate.

You forgot to include Know your Enemy- Greenday! ROFL
    Asia's official representative on OWW

Comment

1. Amazing Grace
      2. How Great Thou Art
      3. What's Going On
      4. Imagine
      5. Thriller
      6. A Change is Gonna Come
      7. Do They Know It's Christmas
      8. Sisters Are Doing it For Themselves
      9. Video Killed the Radio Star