Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROH BEST IN THE WORLD 2014 Official Discussion Thread (June 22, 2014)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROH BEST IN THE WORLD 2014 Official Discussion Thread (June 22, 2014)

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
    MICHAEL ELGIN vs. ADAM COLE (c)

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
    BAD INFLUENCE vs. reDRagon (c)

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP - TRUTH MARTINI WILL BE HANDCUFFED TO THE RING POST
    MATT TAVEN vs. JAY LETHAL w/TRUTH MARTINI (c)

GRUDGE MATCH
    MATT HARDY & MICHAEL BENNETT w/MARIA vs. THE BRISCOE BROTHERS

MR. WRESTLING vs. THE LAST REAL MAN
    KEVIN STEEN vs. SILAS YOUNG

SUBMISSION MATCH
    RODERICK STRONG w/ADAM PAGE vs. CEDRIC ALEXANDER

6 MAN MAYHEM - WINNER GETS A FUTURE TV TITLE SHOT
    ACH vs. TAKAAKI WANTANABE vs. CAPRICE COLEMAN vs. TADARIUS THOMAS vs. BJ WHITMER vs. TOMASSO CIAMPA

Those who live without honor, end without honor.

I love you Bad Influence *cries uncontrollably*

Comment

I think with the last couple of card that ROH did with NJPW, I think for the first time in a long time ROH is a real challenge to the number 2 spot in the best wrestling company in USA.

I think this is an excellant card, Michael Elgin is a beast I dont know another man who can take of much punishment and still keep coming, but Adam Cole is the future of ROH and young champion with probably a higher future than ROH

TNA loss is ROH gain, probably one of the best tag team in TNA history and TNA decided to let them go, Bad influence against ReDragon should be an enjoyable match

Taven and Lethal bad blood between them, Experience vs youth, and will the Truth had a hand in this decision, who knows?

I guess it going to be a bitter sweet match for Kevin Steen, more than likey this will be his last match for ROH before leaving to join WWE, the guy has been a major part of ROH for a long time, so I can imagine a great speech at the end of the match.

i dont see a dud in the list of matches, should be interesting comparing Best in the world with Slammiversary

Comment

interesting rumor that is making the rounds that CM Punk could make an appearance on ROH first ever ppv, now that would be interesting I guess it wait and see

Comment

so ROH first ever PPV is now done and dusted and overall it was a really good ppv.

6 MAN MAYHEM - WINNER GETS A FUTURE TV TITLE SHOT
          ACH vs. TAKAAKI WANTANABE vs. CAPRICE COLEMAN vs. TADARIUS THOMAS vs. BJ WHITMER vs. TOMASSO CIAMPA

The match was a little messy but that was due to the format of the match, it was a little too crazy and didn't make alot of sense, too many guys trying to put out there big moves without any build up to the moves 5/10

SUBMISSION MATCH
          RODERICK STRONG w/ADAM PAGE vs. CEDRIC ALEXANDER

this was one of the matches I was really looking forward too, the build up to this match has been done really well, but please dont let Rodrick Strong have a mic because he comes across boring. But dam this was some hard hitting bout with sometimes you have to wince at some of the moves during match. there was some heat in this match and the crowd was behind both of the guys. This was probably the match that will make Cedric one of the top stars of ROH, probably the only negative in this match that it seemed like Strong gave up too quickly when put in the back breaker

8/10

MR. WRESTLING vs. THE LAST REAL MAN
          KEVIN STEEN vs. SILAS YOUNG

Steen is without doubt the most over guy in ROH, but the large majority of the match he was holding his head, it was a good match but nothing to go wow

6/10

Steen's speech was expected and said that he's got 1 1/2 months left on his contract, I think the biggest plus for Steen if he goes to WWE is his vocal talent, was surprised that Young attacked Steen during his speech.

GRUDGE MATCH
          MATT HARDY & MICHAEL BENNETT w/MARIA vs. THE BRISCOE BROTHERS

The match was going nowhere when Hardy/bennett got themselves dq'd, but when Michael mcGuiness restarted the match and made it a no dq match, then it turned hardcore plenty of table, ladder and chair oh my. This turned in to a brawl and the final suplex off the top of the ladder though the table was a sight to see

7/10

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP - TRUTH MARTINI WILL BE HANDCUFFED TO THE RING POST
          MATT TAVEN vs. JAY LETHAL w/TRUTH MARTINI (c)

this match should had been better, if taven was more interested in wrestling Lethal instead of always trying to attack Truth then we could have had a decent match, i dont think the match gelled very well, it turned very predictable at times

5/10

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
          BAD INFLUENCE vs. reDRagon (c)

I know that Shockage isn't going to like this, but I found Bad Influence pretty boring, not sure if their timing was off or just didn't click with ReDragon, the right decision was the Redragon got the win and push due to beating Bad Influence, also the commentators didn't help by point out that Christopher daniels was over 40.

5/10

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
          MICHAEL ELGIN vs. ADAM COLE (c)

What a great match to end a good ppv, the power vs technical skill, you got to respect the Elgin in his no quiting attitude in this match, he took everything from Cole, even got attacked by Hardy and Bennett. This is one of the best ROH match I've seen for a while, and the first time I've seen a female blow the green mist. There were so many element to this match, the build up for this match was great, showing clips of Cole, Hardy and Bennett cutting and shaving Elgin hair off, and Cole putting Elgin's wife in a figure four, so there was the revenge element and the world championship.

Comment

Personally, I think Elgin is more of a one-time Champion. I am not knocking the guy. He is tremendously talented, especially for his size, but he has no charisma whatsoever. Even in ROH (where the wrestling is focused on more than personalities), which is trying to overtake TNA as the number organization in America, that is important. He is ROH's equivalent to Chris Benoit: an ultra-intense, technically sound worker, but lacks in the ability to engage the crowd outside of the ring. He is considered one of the biggest and strongest wrestlers ROH has to offer, but he is only 20-25 lbs. heavier than Benoit in his heyday and maybe an inch or so taller. He is just not a "total package" type.

That's why Adam Cole made such a good champion...he could work AND talk. Granted, Cole is on the small side (as is 90% of the ROH roster), but he can really move and knows how to work a crowd on the microphone. I am not a huge Adam Cole fan, but he may be ROH's best all around full-time worker. Other than the likes of an AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, or a youngster looking to move up (Cedric Alexander and ACH come to mind), Cole is the guy to lead the company in the future (assuming he stays with ROH).

Elgin may be "Unbreakable," but he is also unmarketable, to a certain extent. I honestly think they gave him the belt as a "thank you" for being with the company so long, and to keep him from trying to bolt to TNA or WWE (which he has already tried out for). It was a good story, especially over the last month or so. But, if ROH plans on giving Elgin more than 5-6 months as World Champion, or if they plan to put the strap on him multiple times (this has only been done once), I think they take a step back in the race for number 2.

Cole is actually a better candidate to be a multi-time Champ, especially as a heel. However, he has tried out for the "E" as well (as has stablemate Michael Bennett). I am not sure what they are planning for him (Cole), what with Matt Hardy gone, but they would do well to give him another look as World Titlist before the end of the year (perhaps at "Final Battle").
            I'm the man, the myth, the legend..."The Show"!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X